Ebell/Flint Scholarship FAQ

Ebell/Flint Scholarship FAQ




Q: I have US permanent residency status/a green card; can I apply for a scholarship?
A: NO, the Ebell/Flint Scholarship Program requires US Citizenship.

Q: I’m from out of state and attending college in LA County.  Am I eligible for a scholarship?
A: It depends. Ebell Scholars must be permanent residents of LA County. If you or your parents are paying “out of state” tuition, you are not eligible.  If your parent(s) does not reside in LA County and claims you as a dependent on their tax returns, you are not eligible. You might qualify if you are financially independent and have lived in LA County for at least 366 continuous days at time of application.  These cases are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Q: I grew up in another California county and have moved to LA County to attend school.  Am I eligible?
A: It depends. Ebell Scholars must be permanent residents of LA County.  If your parent(s) does not reside in LA County and claims you as a dependent on their tax returns, you are not eligible. You might qualify if you are financially independent and have lived in LA County for at least 366 continuous days at time of application.  These cases are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.


Full Time Status

Q: I work full-time and am enrolled in a weekend undergraduate program. Can I apply?
A: Students must be enrolled in a full-time program to receive a scholarship. Clarify your status with your institution and provide documentation of full-time status in the application.

Q: I have a learning or other disability/health issue and take fewer than the required number of units each semester/term stipulated in your Terms and Conditions. Do I qualify?
A: Numerous educational institutions provide definitions of full-time status for students with disabilities. Clarify your status with your institution and provide documentation of full-time status in the application.


Transfer Students

Q: As a transfer student, do I need to provide my official transcript from the community college I attended as well as the transcript from my current institution?
A: YES, we need official transcripts from all colleges you have attended.

Q: I’ve attended a community college and have been accepted to several four-year universities. I haven’t heard yet from my #1 school choice, which is in LA County. It may not happen until the end of April. What financial aid information should I submit on my Financial Aid Profile form?
A: Submit your most current financial aid information. When you have your acceptance from the school you will be attending, please forward the new cost of attendance and your award letter.

Q: Can I apply for a scholarship if I am transferring from community college but am waiting to see which college in Los Angeles county will accept me?
A: We often have transfer students apply for Ebell/Flint Scholarships whose acceptance at a university is still pending at the time of our application deadline. On your application, indicate which college(s) in Los Angeles county you have applied  for transfer. If you are selected as a Scholar, the scholarship award is contingent on your transfer to a college in Los Angeles county in the fall of 2021. Proof of acceptance is required.


Returning Students with a BA Degree

Q: I have a Bachelors degree that I received years ago and now am returning to school for an undergraduate degree in another field. Can I apply?
A: NO, we do not fund applicants who already have a 4-year undergraduate Bachelor degree.


Online Degree or Coursework

Q: I’m getting my BA degree through an accredited on-line university. Can I apply?
A: NO, a program of study toward a degree that is only online would not meet eligibility requirements.

Q: Are online courses accepted from a different institution than the one I am attending?
A: If your school accepts online coursework from another institution towards your degree, the online courses will be accepted.



Application Deadline and Process

Q: What is the application deadline?
A: The application deadline is Friday, April 2, 2021. 

Q: How do I submit my application?
A: Applications may be submitted in any of the following three ways:
1. Online by uploading,
2. Through the postal service (postmarked by due date), or
Hand delivered to the Ebell Scholarship Program 743 South Lucerne Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90005

Q. In my application essay, can I write about both my unique talent and the challenges I have faced?
A: We ask that you only write about one of these topics in your essay, but we recognize that in some instances they may be interralted.


Q: Can my transcript be submitted after the deadline?
A: NO, all documents must have been submitted or postmarked by April 2, 2021

Q: Can my school submit my transcript directly to The Ebell?
A: YES, schools may submit official transcripts.

Q: There is a hold on my school account from unpaid tuition. The registrar won’t release my official transcript until at least part of the outstanding balance is paid. My application is complete other than my official transcript.  Can I submit an unofficial transcript now with my application and submit an official one as soon as I can?
A: Occasionally applicants submit an unofficial transcript pending the official transcript. The committee will not review the scholarship application until the official transcript is received. Official transcripts should be sent as soon as possible.

 Letters of Recommendation: 

Q: Am I limited to 3 letters of recommendation?
A: YES, 3 letters of recommendation is the maximum.

Student Aid Report:

Q: Is the Student Aid Report (SAR) the same as the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?
A: NO, the SAR and FAFSA are not the same.  Students receive their SAR within two weeks of filling their FAFSA online (or 4 weeks from the time a paper FAFSA is mailed in.)  It gives basic information about a student’s eligibility for Federal Student Aid, the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) and also lists the student’s answers to all questions on the FAFSA.



Q: How will I be evaluated?
A: In evaluating scholarship applicants, The Ebell places equal weight on three criteria:
1) Academic achievement (GPA)
2) Financial Need (Financial Resources Profile and Student Aid Report)
3) Character (Written Application, Recommendation Letters and Interview)

Q: What if I take a semester off from school?
A: Deferments of the Ebell Scholarship for health, military or other personal reasons may be considered on a case-by-case basis until a student returns to full time status.

Q: Can international students apply?
A: NO, applicants must meet US citizenship and LA County permanent residency requirements.

Q: Can high school students apply for funding for Fall 2020 when they start college/university?
A: NO, applicants must be at least a college freshman when they apply.

Q: Can I apply for the Ebell Scholarship if I am a college sophomore or junior?
A: YES, college sophomores and juniors may apply.

Q: Does the Ebell fund graduate education?
A: NO, only under-graduate coursework is funded. If you are enrolled in a dual undergraduate/graduate degree program, this might affect your scholarship eligibility. Please contact the Ebell Scholarship office to clarify your situation. 

Q: If I plan to study abroad for one semester, can I maintain my scholarship?
A: YES, as long as your academic institution grants credit for your time away and you continue to meet the Ebell/Flint Scholarship eligibility requirements.

Ebell Scholarship Department

Phone: 323-931-1277 x184
Location: 743 South Lucerne Boulevard, Los Angeles, CA 90005
Email: scholarship@ebelloflosangeles.com